Thursday, September 19, 2013

Students have increased their dependence on media, in some cases to a point of addiction.

Try to find any college student without a smart phone or laptop. You will find that it is nearly impossible.
College students have become more and more dependent on the media.
As student we feel an attachment to the media. It runs into almost all aspects of our lives. We can't go a whole day without checking our Facebook updates or scrolling through Reddit. We think without media, it would be impossible to get an A in the class. Without media, we can't communicate with our friends or the rest of the world. Without media, we can't properly function as a member of society.
Our dependence on media is evident and can even reach a point of addiction. Some may say media addiction doesn't exist or that the phrase is over-dramatizing the situation. But what is an addiction? Google defines it as being "physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects." I have had firsthand experience of these "adverse effects."
This past spring I chose to give up Facebook for Lent. Lent lasts for 40 days and just after 14 days I started to get anxious. I felt like I was missing out. My friends would talk about events that I was oblivious to and photos that were blind to me. The uneasy feeling just increased and after about 25 days I gave in. It wasn't even a conscious decision, but I found myself scrolling down my newsfeed one day in class. So from my very personal experience I sympathize with those who say we can be addicted to media.
Clearly any sort of addictions should not be brushed under the rug. It is important that schools implement certain rules to help their students use media in a healthy way. For instance, instead of allowing students to use laptops during lecture, the professor should be able to block sites or tasks that do not pertain to the course. This way media is used as a tool and not a distraction.
While over exposure to media can be addictive, if administered correctly, the right dose could be incredibly beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment